Wednesday 24 April 2013

Dating as a Single Parent (II)

I want to subtitle this blog: Good Grief, he's a Muso.

But that would be getting ahead of myself.

I get few moments of non-toddler sanity peace and quiet most days. One day a week, I take Pickle to a swimming class. He inevitably has a bite of lunch after his lesson, we splash in the outside pool and slides and then more lunch... before Pickle slips into a deep and lengthy sleep (I consider anything over 45 minutes a lengthy nap these days). I then sneak in lunch with a friend, or a peaceful coffee on my own, while Pickle sleeps in his pram.

I chose a new venue for lunch recently; there are many cafes along the Esplanade, and I'm slowly working my way through them. It was buzzing, and I managed to grab the last table as the previous occupants left. Perusing the menu, I was approached to see if I'd mind sharing the table. And that's when I met... let's call him BigTed. Not only does the Aussie Play School connotation appeal due to my new locale, but this guy is tall - a foot taller than my meager 5'2, solid and age appropriate (in a town filled with backpackers and OAPs, this final point is not to be sniffed at).

We started chatting. He made me laugh. And then I found out he's a muso. Good grief. I've never been one to desire the proverbial "I'm with the band" t-shirt. Especially now that I'm a single Mummy. OK, so this guy isn't only a muso, he's an engineer too. And a Dad. But I can't quite get past the muso bit.

He offered to take a competition card to the cash register for me. And then gallantly paid for my lunch. I was disappointed that he didn't ask for my number, so was glad when he texted me later that day to see if he could take me out again. He'd lifted my mobile number from the competition card... Ingenious or stalker-like? Perhaps I should name him ScaryBear instead?

Should I run a mile from this muso? Or embrace the creative?

Cheers, KangaRue :)

9 comments:

  1. Embrace the creative, just do it sensibly, date in public for a bit. You deserve some "you" time...and attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace! Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 'gentle giant' is apt! As a long (LONG) term single, am sure the attention will be most welcome and a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, though as a long-term fag-hag, I had to get the Bear in there somewhere! Not so much attention as a connection required... I hear another blogpost building!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely, I'm very sensible that way. Pickle tends to be with me as well. He's a good judge of character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Candace, I think I'll take your advice!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!