Thursday 11 April 2013

Dating as a Single Parent (I)

I've been dating.

I've mentioned the tragic date with the semi-toothless guy and being propositioned by Dr. Coy... But thankfully there are some slightly more eligible and attractive male specimens in Hervey Bay. Some of them are even below OAP age!

In my past dating life, I used nicknames for my dates with my friends. The main purpose it served was as an easier way for my friends to distinguish them - BoyWonder was named not only for his age, but also because he had a bit of Clark Kent going for him. I intend to keep the tradition going, with the added benefit of providing a privacy protecting pseudonym for my suitors.

Two contenders stand out so far. Both are single Dads with shared care for their kids.  The first we'll call Sparky. He's a lovely guy, thoughtful and relaxed.

I found it a little weird that he didn't know what a blog was though. I get that someone might have never read a blog (though I am struggling with getting my head around this alone). But to not even know what a blog is? I'm pretty sure I ballsed up the explanation too. His sense of privacy means he baulked at the idea of blogging at all... So not sure I'll divulge his inclusion here. He's also not particularly open conversationally - though we've had great discussions about travel and a bit about food.

He's also doesn't eat red meat. Not a deal breaker in it's own right, but don't lecture me about my food choices. Someone pass me a steak knife please...

So Sparky should give you an idea of his line of work. I don't really care what someone does for a living, as long as they enjoy it and find it challenging or inspiring. Obviously not every day can be blissful, but otherwise slogging through a third of each day would be tiresome at best. But Sparky dropped into conversation that he's the boss, along with the properties he has invested in. I'm not sure if it's a nerves thing, where he feels the need to "big" himself up, but I've found it a little off putting - red-flags are flapping as previous relationships featured guys with underlying insecurity that manifested as bragging and arrogance, which eventually got directed towards me. So no thanks as a general rule. But we'll see. At worst, I'd like to keep him as a friend.

Details of my other suitor will have to wait for another day.

Being the boss and owning properties should logically be a draw-card, yet I'm finding it a turn-off... Am I nuts? 

Am I being naive thinking I can stay friends with someone I've dated briefly?

Cheers, KangaRue :)

4 comments:

  1. No, you're not nuts. It's not the properties or the fact that he's the boss that's putting you off; it's how they came up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liam! Yes, it was a little awkward. Not sure if it was nerves, or if it was said as a sales pitch... some girls might love that. I'm not one of them (at least not any more).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Liam - it's more the contrived manner with which they were raised that's off-putting. However, as you said, it could be a confidence thing and he might not naturally be a big-noter, he could just be nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The big noting thing would make me think twice too, however if there was other good conversation I might weigh it up. You mean you left the house to go out with someone who doesn't know what a blog is??? I say good on you for getting out there. Don't be in a hurry, enjoy the dating and I can't see any benefits in staying friends with any of them unless he is "the one".

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!